March 9, 2021
Here are some significant developments:
- A little-known provision of Biden’s stimulus package will pay billions of dollars to disadvantaged farmers — a quarter of whom are Black — and experts say it is the most significant piece of legislation for Black farmers since the Civil Rights Act.
- House lawmakers could vote as soon as Tuesday on the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, putting President Biden on track to sign it into law by the end of the week.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released guidance on what fully vaccinated Americans can do, saying they can visit nearby grandchildren and dine with one another indoors.
- The stimulus bill also gives airlines, airports and public transit agencies billions of dollars in support to help avoid furloughs and make up for the sharp decreases in riders and fliers during the pandemic.
- More than a half-million Americans have died of the coronavirus while nearly 29 million cases have been reported.